Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 20. A travel day from Carrollton KY to Holladay, TN.

Day 20. A travel day from Carrollton KY to Holladay, TN.

Day 20. The 312 mile to from Geneva Ohio to Tennessee was easy, but I was tired. I had to stop every 90 minutes or so to rest. At one point, in Tennessee, I got sleepy. So I pulled off into a rest area, laid down under a tree and took a half hour power nap. I didn’t want to push Jo Ann into too much camping too quickly so I reserved a room at a Days Inn in Holladay, TN. What I didn’t realize was that the motel abutted an Adult Book store, so Jo Ann was more than a little miffed. It looked sleazy, but the room was very clean and comfortable, and the owner operators of the hotel were exceptionally pleasant. Jo Ann mentioned (retrospectively) that she would have enjoyed another night at the state park. (Go figure!) My motorcycle baggage lock came apart and I had no way to secure our stuff on the bike. I found most of the parts but I was missing two very small machine screws to set the lock in place. I asked the owner how far it was to the nearest hardware store and he said 16 miles. He told me his Dad had lots of tools and screws. His Dad told me that when he sweeps the parking lot, he collects hardware—screws, nuts, bolts--whatever. He gave me a power screwdriver and a box of assorted screws. Miraculously, there were two screws, exactly the right size in his box. A perfect solution!. We showered and changed clothes before going to dinner at a nearby truckstop buffet. The place was a large restaurant that featured a good all-you-can-eat buffet and salad bar, soups, and desert for $8. How about that! Tomorrow we head for Graceland in Memphis, a two hour trip. We will look for a good BBQ place in Memphis and spend the night in nearby West Memphis, Arkansas before heading out for Texarkansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment